Friday

EXCEPTIONAL AMERICANS.

EXCEPTIONAL AMERICANS.

I admin www.facebook.com/antitheists and one of the most exciting aspects, is knowing we attract a high proportion of exceptional Americans. John Pilger and Martha Gellhorn explain this better than I ever could. Whether a member is American or not, this is a quote that strikes the heart of our membership. Who could want for better people?


My guess is that a populism will emerge in the next few years, igniting a powerful force that lies beneath America’s surface and which has a proud past. It cannot be predicted which way it will go. However, from such an authentic grass-roots Americanism came women’s suffrage, the eight-hour day, graduated income tax and public ownership. In the late 19th century, the populists were betrayed by leaders who urged them to compromise and merge with the Democratic Party. In the Obama era, the familiarity of this resonates.

I once asked a friend, the great American war correspondent and humanitarian Martha Gellhorn, to explain the term to me. “I’ll tell you what ‘anti-American’ is,” she said. “It’s what governments and their vested interests call those who honour America by objecting to war and the theft of resources and believing in all of humanity. There are millions of these anti-Americans in the United States. They are ordinary people who belong to no elite and who judge their government in moral terms, though they would call it common decency. They are not vain. They are the people with a wakeful conscience, the best of America’s citizens. They can be counted on. They were in the South with the civil rights movement, ending slavery. They were in the streets, demanding an end to the wars in Asia. Sure, they disappear from view now and then, but they are like seeds beneath the snow. I would say they are truly exceptional.”

John Pilger and Martha Gellhorn.

Taken from Here


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I finally found my people! Been looking for you all my life.